Thursday, November 3, 2011

MERA WALA AMALTAS...


 I feel i have already shared with you my love for this tree.Since my those dreamy days of teens I have been madly  in love  with these golden bunches.So when we purchased our own home ,we planted this Amaltas sapling in front of our home.It grew to be a big tree.If not for high voltages electrical wires ,it would have become a real huge tree .But as is the case,come rainy season and  we have to get it cut.Despite that every summer it was the oasis of our street.A relief to eyes and soul during hot scorching afternoons.
Last August when we shifted back to our home after a gap of five years,I was pained to see the condition of my Amaltas.It was as if butchered .When needed we also used to get it cut but with proper care,the branches properly trimmed giving it an elegant  and proper look.But in our absence it's head was completely chopped off.Thin fleshless branches from that point were running hither thither ,as if in a desperate attempt to run away from that falling axe.,crying for help.
I was pained to see it's condition ,will be an understatement.It practically tore my heart.How I wanted to assure it that now I am here and everything will be fine once again. But looking at it i myself was not very sure.Then there were my neighbours ,who whenever found me looking at it said nodding there heads sadly 'namita the tree has perhaps dried up.for few years even leaves have not come up properly what to talk about flowers.'Somewhere deep down a voice cooed.........
though leafless
almost motionless
it's not dead
life runs
deep down
perhaps waiting silently
for the clock to run full circle.
I arranged to get the place below it cleaned and started watering and caring it besides sending my silent pleas to it.People noticed my efforts, they understood  my feelings also but in their a kind of sad and reluctant smile i could sense that they want to tell me that my efforts are futile. None of them had a  heart to voice their opinion openly, though some of them expressed their apprehension that watering such a big tree ,whose roots have gone deep down the earth does not make much difference.
 And then that morning, few weeks ago, i saw  two tiny bunches of yellowish green balls hanging from a branch.The balls were not yet open .Sprouting from that  stark naked tree those fragile bunches were re-instating my faith. My happiness knew no bound.It was coming alive.Now it's flowering like never before.This is the species of Amaltas which have more leaves than flowers not the kind which  is laden with only golden bunches.Earlier also it never bloomed in such  abundance though flowered every season.This time it's different .every branch is wrapped in golden yellow hue.every morning walker throws a glance up and feel refreshed.Smile of my neighbours have broaden and they openly proclaim,'dekho tumhara ped tumhare laut aane ki khushi mana raha hai'
We really feel welcomed back home.every morning when i threw the curtain open It reaches out to wish me a good day.Even with a soft touch of wind the flowers cascade down in rhythmic motion.Watching that mesmerizing view in blazing afternoon is akin to be part of a celebration.Part of road and the ground below the tree is carpeted with five petaled golden flower.The tree has made my days poetic and nights dreamy.
Here is mera wala Amaltas to wish you all a very happy summers-----
 
 
 
 

 

 

 
 

 लो फ़िर विहंस उठी 
डाल अमलतास की
छलक उठा रस 
बात बीती प्यास की

अंग अंग रचे छंद
सुनहरे सपनो के संग
ठिये पे छांव तो, फ़िकर किसे
जेठ के ताप की

आने लगे सब इस तरफ़
सज उठी मेरी गली
बासंती होठों पर 
धुन थिरकी प्यार की
(all pictures by sunder iyer)

MAY 2010,LUCKNOW

No comments:

Post a Comment