Thursday, November 3, 2011

ME BOUGAINVILLEA AND RADDIWALLAH..


Today  morning i was on my terrace with a cup of tea,enjoying the fresh breeze .The days have started becoming pretty hot but mornings are still quite refreshing.Did I hear a few of you muttering under your breath that mornings are always refreshing. No my dear, here in north in summers there are days when even early mornings are very hot and sultry.
Now I started straying even before I started writing. Let me try to catch the slipped thread. So, I was on the terrace. The usual morning scenes are morning walkers, kids cycling and of course Raddiwalas. Here we don't have shops to sell old newspapers and magazines. For two three hours in the morning many Raddiwalas take rounds of colony. One such man turned at the corner of street calling out in his usual high pitch voice. Nearing my home he slowed down the speed of his rickshaw. As I have not heard any of my neighbors calling him, I thought he was about to ask me whether I have old newspapers to sell. He stopped a few paces before my gate and climbed down his seat. Now I was watching him with a bit of curiosity. What happened next............
He took his mobile out of his old, somewhat torn trousers and....and clicked the Bougainvillea stretching on the boundary wall. This creeper of bougainvillea with profusely blooming bright magenta colored flowers is really a beauty. The color is so amazingly transparent bright and the flowers bloom in such abundance that my whole street appears to be full of hope and brilliance. After clicking the pic, he silently rode his rickshaw and paddled away quietly. Not even for a single time did he shout in his hoarse voice, till he turned at the other corner of the street. Was he in awe of nature or the beauty of Bougainvilleas casted a spell on him and he did not feel like breaking it's serenity.
Somehow his action made me very happy. I felt tiny wee hope surging inside me. Moreover I felt a kind of kinship with this man. So many people live in that street and so many more pass through it daily but seldom have I noticed anyone glancing towards it and never have I seen anybody to stop by to admire it's beauty. Here was he capturing the moment for keeps.
All of us have that innate sense of beauty.We feel happy to look and feel beauty in any form but we have buried that sense so deep down and immersed ourselves in the mundane affair with such zeal that most of the time we miss out on such moments of happiness.This Raddiwalah also must have his own share of worries and fights for survival still his sense of beauty remained awaken .He knew how to find moments of pure joy midst the drab daily routine.He also showed respect towards nature.He made me promise to myself that now onwards while passing through the busy city streets ,I shall be in look out for the glimpse of green leaves peeping through certain balconies ,tiny colorful full flowers on a window sill.We have already hurt and neglected mother nature a lot.It's time to show our gratitude in whatever ways we can.
The innate sense of beauty in a human being is related to the innate goodness in all of us.Let us nurture it.For keeping the daffodils alive one don't have to be Wordsworth always ,sometimes a Raddiwallah can also do that.
                      




When Divya was writing the comment ,I was exactly busy in getting done what she wanted.In fact Sunder was not at home at that time and I posted the blog in a hurry.Luckily he entered immediately i posted the blog.He clicked the pics for me..........Can't bear any body else's pics on my blog......LO....

MARCH 2010,LUCKNOW

No comments:

Post a Comment